Monday, November 3, 2008

Pragmatic programmers

This is a blog on remote sensing image processing, not a blog on programming or computers. However, if you want to do efficient remote sensing image processing, you are often led to do some programming yourself.

Programming is a thing that I like very much. High quality, bug free, efficient programs is something I like to use. Since I am using many of my own programs, I try to use good approaches for this.

Of course, ORFEO Toolbox is my library of choice. It relies on many interesting concepts as object orientation, generic programming, streaming, multi-threading, etc. These concepts invite the programmer to write good code, but they may not be enough. Many tips and techniques have to be applied in order to be happy with your code at the end of the day.

I have found 2 interesting bibliographic references from the Pragmatic Programmer which are worth reading:

1. Practices of an Agile Developer
2. Ship it!: A Practical Guide to Successful Software Projects

These 2 books are very easy (and fun!) to read and give many hints on how to proceed to produce good code.

No comments: